Friday, September 12, 2008

Introduction to The Distraction Culture

This blog is a 44 ounce cup at McDonalds into which I can pour my overflowing pitcher of thoughts. I hope that you find I have an original and interesting voice. As the name of this blog page suggests, however, this is more about emptying the pitcher a little bit so that I can put the distractions aside and actually get some work done and spend some focused time with the family.

The "Distraction Culture" in itself is a description of our culture. Whether by design, or by accident, we are distracted constantly by meaningless television shows, our jobs, running our children around from activity to activity, and generally all of the noise and information that spills out of everywhere and everything.

When I am sitting "vegging" in front of the television at night watching "America's Got Talent" because I feel I deserve a break, I think of men like Benjamin Franklin and Leonardo Da Vinci. Have you seen how much they accomplished in their lives? It is incredible! All of the masterpieces and inventions they created. All of their contributions to society and literature and art. What's stopping us from doing the same? Distractions. Too many distractions.

This, I hope will be my small contribution. The small mark that I make. Perhaps it can serve as a wakeup call to all of us to turn off the TVs and the noise, cancel our kids softball practice, and join together with our families to create something greater than ourselves, to leave our marks on the world.

Hope fully I am not like a tree falling in the woods that nobody hears. I can only hope I make a sound.

1 comment:

Gale Stanley said...

Great premise for a blog. I'm also totally distracted by the mundane things in life. I've added you to my blog roll and reader.