Friday, September 12, 2008

More Bail-Outs?!!

I found myself so distracted this morning with the idea of "we the people" taking on more astronomical debt and giving up more of our freedom to the Federal government in the name of "saving the economy" that I wrote a letter to my congressman. I thought I would share this distraction with you and see what you think.





Dear Representative Murphy,

Thank you for your service, both in Iraq, and in Washington. I am inspired by what you have accomplished, and look forward to following your lead and getting more involved in my community, commonwealth and country.

I am writing today to impress upon you my love of those things that you have fought for, our liberty and freedom. I think we can both agree that the United States has been a beacon for these ideals since the signing of our great Constitution.

That is why I am so concerned with what has been taking place in Washington and Wall Street of late. People in the business community have made bad (very bad) decisions over, at least, the last 8 years. These decisions have lead to the tenuous state of our economy today.

While I am concerned about the ramifications to our economy of letting first Bear Stearns, then Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and now Lehman Bros fail. I have two, even greater concerns.

1. Loss of Liberty - As a result of these bail-outs, our government now owns more than 50% of the mortgages in our country. While the Fed may have the right intentions, we live, unfortunately, in a world where power corrupts. These bail-outs are a monumental transfer of power to a Federal government that already has way too much power. This is not what our founding fathers intended.

2. Loss of Sovereignty - This may sound alarmist, but our National Debt is at least 9 Trillion dollars. This debt weakens us as a country and threatens our sovereignty. We are at the mercy of those nations to whom we are indebted. This number will not go down any time soon, and if the government continues to bail out these businesses as they have, the country will go broke rather than the big businesses that got us in this mess in the first place.

I know that I am not telling you anything you don’t already know. As a member of our great military, you fought for these ideals which is how I know that I am writing to a kindred spirit in this regard.

I am just a working man, a father of 2 young boys, a husband, and a citizen who wants to see our great country remain free and prosperous for my children and grandchildren. We the people are the way. Not the Federal government.

I hope you will represent me and our great Commonwealth, and vote against bailing out Lehman Bros, vote for breaking up Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and putting liberty back in the hands of the people.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I know you will not dismiss my concerns out of turn. I have every confidence that you will look very closely at what your colleagues in Washington are doing, and you will choose to do what is right.


-----Wow. That feels so much better. I feel cleansed. Maybe now I can focus and get some work done. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Gale Stanley said...

I think I'm going to write to my congressman.